You’ve made the decision to have bariatric surgery – whether it’s the Lap-Band surgery, gastric bypass, or sleeve gastrectomy – and now it’s time to get ready for the big event. Like anyone else in your position, you are likely feeling a combination of excitement and anxiety. The most important thing at this time is making sure that you are knowledgeable about what is going to happen next. Knowledge and preparation will put you in the driver’s seat when it comes to preparing for your weight loss surgery so that you can be best poised to achieve – and maintain – a healthy weight.
Prepare for your upcoming weight loss surgery by:
- Talking with your doctor. Your weight loss surgeon should make time to answer your questions and ensure that you completely understand the details of the surgery that you have chosen. Going over the plan for preparation, recovery, and after-care with your medical team will go a long way towards putting you at ease.
- Researching. Doing your own independent research regarding the surgery you will be having will help to prepare you more for what’s to come. There are many books and online resources available regarding weight loss surgery so take advantage of them.
- Talking to other patients. There’s no one who can better help you know what to expect than someone who has been through it. So ask your weight loss surgeon for a recommendation on support groups where you can meet with people who share this experience with you.
- Preparing for recovery. Do you have instructions about after-care? Do you have family or friends in place to help you during the short-term recovery when you may need some physical assistance? Make sure you have all the things in place for a successful recovery.
- Preparing for life after surgery. Weight loss surgery will put you on the road to getting healthy but you have to do the work. Make sure you understand what lifestyle changes need to be made and commit yourself mentally to doing what you need to do to be successful.
In preparing for weight loss surgery, you are putting all the tools in place for ensuring your long-term success.